Today was my first day back at work in 10 days, which meant getting up early. I’ve heard it takes 3 weeks to create a habit, but I sure got used to sleeping until noon in just under 2. That’s one of the beauties of not having kids. Sleep! Although…I’m usually a morning person. There’s something about waking up before the sun comes up that makes me feel alive.
I hear all of you night owls out there scoffing at me and swearing that you’ll never, ever be a morning person. Here are 5 reasons why you should give it a try:
- The Sunrise. I especially love winter sunrises with steam coming off of the snow as the sun first peeks over the horizon.
- The Quiet. When I get up early, my neighborhood is silent. No screaming kids, barking dogs, or power tools. Just pure, glorious silence. I don’t know about you, but my day is filled with noise. Co-workers yackin’, radio playing, tv blaring, phone ringing, horns honking. I embrace the quiet.
- The Caffeine. As some of you know, I love my chai. Especially in the morning. I take my first sip and feel the warmth settle into my belly. Then the caffeine kicks in and I’m ready to start my day.
- The Communal Complaint. One of the first things I do in the morning is check my Facebook news stream on my iPhone. I love reading all of the “I need coffee” and “Uhhh it’s Monday again” status updates. What is that saying…misery enjoys company? It makes me smile. (Although…I’m cutting back on my complaining, so I don’t participate in the comment stream).
- The New Beginning. Each morning is a chance at a new beginning. No matter how bad yesterday was, the morning brings new promise to the day. I find that I can think more clearly and rationalize through problems better first thing in the morning.
So whaddya say? Take my morning challenge this week and wake up 20 minutes earlier than you normally do. Use this time to watch the sunrise or enjoy the quiet. It might just change your day.