I love cooking, but it can sometimes be a challenge in this misfit lifestyle of mine. I cook for two, not an entire family. My weeks are busy, so spending hours in the kitchen just ain’t happenin’. And My Stronger Half is a protein junkie. (If it were up to me, I’d eat cereal every night for dinner.)
Occasionally, I come across a recipe that I can modify to fit my lifestyle and make both myself and My Stronger Half happy. Last night, I took The Pioneer Woman‘s recipe for Macaroni and Cheese and made it my own. Here are the modifications I made:
- Cut the recipe in half. There’s only two of us after all.
- Used half cheddar and half mozzarella cheese, because that’s what I had in my fridge.
- Limited the dried mustard. My Stronger Half is not a big fan, and I didn’t want the flavor to be too noticeable.
- Added shredded chicken from a store-bought rotisserie.
- Set the broiler on high after the dish had been baking for 15-20 minutes. I love the taste of cheese when it starts to brown.
The result? A protein-packed meal for two!
A quick sidebar: I go back to work tomorrow after 10 days off. This will likely mean that my blog posts will be published at night, instead of during the day. I hope to keep blogging daily, but we’ll see what happens.