I work in a social media bubble where everyone owns iPhones. We discuss the coolest new apps, complain about Facebook’s unannounced updates, and read Mashable on a daily basis. And then…I drive into my semi-rural suburban neighborhood where big trucks and cowboy hats are the norm. iPhones, not so much. It’s kind of refreshing actually.
Being an iPhone owner amongst non-iPhone owners makes you feel smart. It’s true! And I like feeling way smarter than I actually am. I digress. I wanted to share with you my daily iPhone routine, because this single piece of technology has truly changed my life. If you’re an iPhone owner, I’d love to hear what apps you’re using. If you’re not an iPhone owner, maybe this will make you reconsider.
- 7:00 a.m. – Wake Up With Sleep Cycle
This application monitors your sleep cycles throughout the night (via movement) and wakes you up during your lightest sleep cycle to make getting out of bed easier. Why didn’t I think of that?
- 7:30 a.m. – Check The Weather To Determine Outfit Choice
- 8:30 a.m. – Figure Out A Song On My Morning CommuteHave you ever heard a song on the radio that you liked, but had no idea who sang it or how to find out? Enter Shazam. I use this app all the time while I’m driving to and from work. Simply click the “Shazam” button and hold it next to your car speaker. It will match the song, tell you who it is, and even give you a link to iTunes for purchase.
- 11:30 p.m. – Order Lunch At Chipotle
I heart Chipotle. Not as much as My Stronger Half who eats there every day (literally), but it’s a favorite of mine. Their iPhone app makes ordering lunch for an office full of people so easy it’s ridiculous. Unless your boss taps the wrong button and erases everyone’s order that is. You know who you are. Ahem.
- 1:00 p.m. – Catch Up With My Stronger Half
I know what you’re thinking. “Kids these days. They never pick up the phone, they just text. How impersonal!” I agree, usually. Except for when I get an “I’m thinking about you” text from My Stronger Half in the middle of a hectic work day. It’s nice. Try it some time.
- 8:00 p.m. – Check-In At The Gym
Honestly, I don’t see a lot of value in Foursquare. It’s been all the rage lately, but speaking as a user (not a social media strategist) it doesn’t blow me away. Except when it comes to the gym. It’s really an ego thing. I’m the mayor of my gym, which means I’ve checked in there more than anyone else. I don’t get a prize or a discount. Just the inner satisfaction of knowing I’m the fake mayor of a place where nobody else probably even uses Foursquare. It feels good. Reaaaaal good.
- 10:00 p.m. – Play Angry Birds Until My Eyes Won’t Stay Open
WARNING: do not play this game if you ever want to accomplish anything ever again. Seriously. Don’t do it. Ok do it, but don’t tell anybody you heard that from me!
There are so many iPhone apps that I didn’t get a chance to cover, but it’s getting late. If you have any other cool uses for your iPhone, comment below! I’d love to hear from you.